The Czech Association of Doctoral Candidates (ČAD) is a registered association that brings together pursuing doctoral programs in the Czech Republic.
The aim of the association is to improve the quality and conditions of doctoral studies in the Czech Republic, to create a space for sharing PhD experiences across disciplines and within individual disciplines, to increase doctoral candidates' awareness of study and professional opportunities and to help PhD candidates improve their own professional skills.
ČAD strives to achieve this goal through the following activities:
- Identification of problems related to the quality and conditions of doctoral studies
- mapping the situation on the national level (discussions with PhD candidates, academics, decision-makers)
- comparison with the situation abroad
- Solving practical aspects of doctoral studies that affect its quality, intensity and length
- in particular, addressing income (scholarships / salaries), study obligations, student / employee status, maternity / parental "leave", etc.
- Communication with bodies deciding on the conception of doctoral studies in the Czech Republic
- dialogue with the relevant authorities and individual academic institutions
- issuing of opinions and calls for solutions to identified problems
- commenting on legislation
- Raising awareness of doctoral candidates about the functioning of the academic environment
- creating both virtual and physical platforms for meetings and mutual sharing of information of doctoral candidates from all disciplines and workplaces
- through websites, facebook pages, regular meetings and special events (conferences, seminars)
- Organizing seminars, trainings and workshops focused on the development of professional skills (according to the demand of members of ČAD)